waitsendpay payment_hash [timeout] [partid]
The waitsendpay RPC command polls or waits for the status of an
outgoing payment that was initiated by a previous sendpay
The partid argument must match that of the sendpay command.
Optionally the client may provide a timeout, an integer in seconds,
for this RPC command to return. If the timeout is provided and the
given amount of time passes without the payment definitely succeeding or
definitely failing, this command returns with a 200 error code (payment
still in progress). If timeout is not provided this call will wait
Indicating a timeout of 0 effectively makes this call a pollable query
of the status of the payment.
If the payment completed with success, this command returns with
success. Otherwise, if the payment completed with failure, this command
returns an error.
On success, an object is returned, containing:
- created_index (u64): 1-based index indicating order this payment was created in (added v23.11)
- id (u64): old synonym for created_index
- payment_hash (hash): the hash of the payment_preimage which will prove payment
- status (string): status of the payment (always "complete")
- created_at (u64): the UNIX timestamp showing when this payment was initiated
- amount_sent_msat (msat): The amount sent
- groupid (u64, optional): Grouping key to disambiguate multiple attempts to pay an invoice or the same payment_hash
- amount_msat (msat, optional): The amount delivered to destination (if known)
- destination (pubkey, optional): the final destination of the payment if known
- updated_index (u64, optional): 1-based index indicating order this payment was changed (only present if it has changed since creation) (added v23.11)
- completed_at (number, optional): the UNIX timestamp showing when this payment was completed
- label (string, optional): the label, if given to sendpay
- partid (u64, optional): the partid, if given to sendpay
- bolt11 (string, optional): the bolt11 string (if pay supplied one)
- bolt12 (string, optional): the bolt12 string (if supplied for pay: experimental-offers only).
If status is "complete":
- payment_preimage (secret): the proof of payment: SHA256 of this payment_hash
On error, and even if the error occurred from a node other than the
final destination, the route table will no longer be updated. Use the
exclude parameter of the
getroute command to ignore the failing
The following error codes may occur:
- -1: Catchall nonspecific error.
- 200: Timed out before the payment could complete.
- 202: Unparseable onion reply. The data field of the error will
have an onionreply field, a hex string representation of the raw
- 203: Permanent failure at destination. The data field of the error
will be routing failure object.
- 204: Failure along route; retry a different route. The data field
of the error will be routing failure object.
- 208: A payment for payment_hash was never made and there is
nothing to wait for.
- 209: The payment already failed, but the reason for failure was not
stored. This should only occur when querying failed payments on very
A routing failure object has the fields below:
- erring_index: The index of the node along the route that reported
the error. 0 for the local node, 1 for the first hop, and so on.
- erring_node: The hex string of the pubkey id of the node that
reported the error.
- erring_channel: The short channel ID of the channel that has the
error (or the final channel if the destination raised the error).
- erring_direction: The direction of traversing the
- failcode: The failure code, as per BOLT #4.
- failcodename: The human-readable name corresponding to failcode,
ZmnSCPxj <[email protected]> is mainly responsible.
Main web site: https://github.com/ElementsProject/lightning